Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2000 13:07:07 -0400
From:      "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        BWS - Offwhite <brennan@offwhite.net>
Cc:        pstapley <pstapley@rapidnet.com>, "Conover Justin" <JConov01@sprintspectrum.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIC cards

BWS - Offwhite wrote:

> If you are looking for a NIC card you can go with either 3Com or
> NetGear.  3Com has generally been more expensive, but it seems to be the
> tried and true brand.

Plus it is getting a lot harder to find 3Com cards anymore.  It seems
that no store in my area stocks them anymore.

> Recently the hardware guy here convinced me to use the NetGear cards for a
> new server and it worked just as well as a 3Com card, but the price was
> far less, like $20 from $70.  Apparently all NetGear cards use the Tulip
> chipset which is supported by FreeBSD with the "de" device.  If you have
> the source for FreeBSD on your machine, try this command.

I'm not so sure about that.  The FE310 (IIRC) and previous use the Tulip
chipset, but the FE311 and FE312 (the newest cards) seem to use a
different chip.  Does anybody have one of these cards?  Do they work
under FreeBSD?

--
  / \/ \  | ||_ _||  _ \|___| | Jason Andresen -- jandrese@mitre.org