Date:      Fri, 27 Dec 1996 02:12:08 -0800
From:      obrien@dragon.nuxi.com (David O'Brien)
To:        ports@freebsd.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need a quick review of some bsd.port.mk changes

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:
> > Our tar is also statically linked, but still resides in /usr/bin
>
> This is the only case where I thought we might want to change
> ourselves, but I shudder to think of all those shell scripts which
> invoke /usr/bin/tar directly (and I've seen quite a few).  It'd be

I know, we don't really like this type of solution very much... but I
hate to see for "backwards" compatability hold us back for ever in fixing
a problem... there has been so much breakage in the unix/language world
because people were afraid to fix the problem because there was "too
many" current users... then years later when people wanted to fix it they
found an order of magnitude of users and then it was too late to fix
it...

How about moving to /bin w/a symlink in /usr/bin ?

--
-- David	(deobrien@ucdavis.edu)