Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2002 13:26:29 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Cc:        Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mozilla core... & HotSpot update

> [OS glue layer]
>
> 1) There's a couple of problems with interruptable IO that are a bit
> semantically confusing such as the SYSV and BSD behaviors of a syscall
> during the delivery of a signal. Should it return EINT like in SYSV ?

Define what you mean by 'interruptible' IO?  Do you mean select/poll, or
asynchronous IO?  I don't believe BSD allows one to 'interrupt' an IO
system call, so I'm not sure what you're asking.

If you're taking about asynchronous IO, all if the details are in the
green threads code, and/or the libc_r code.  There are many ways of
dealing with them, and it's not too difficult to figure it out once you
get the hang of it.  The bear is making sure you handle *ALL* the corner
cases. :(

> [CPU/architecture specifics]
>
> 3) Safe-point handling that deals with exceptions thrown in the middle of
> a JIT block still needs to be fully understood and verified. The call back
> framework during SIGUSR1 supporting the manipulation of ucontext_t's
> is now done. That supports the safe-point system.
>
> This section is almost complete after the work I've done over the last
> couple of days.

And where is that work, pray tell?

Nate