Date:      Wed, 6 Nov 2002 18:27:45 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        Marc Schneiders <marc@schneiders.org>
Cc:        Brian Henning <b1henning@hotmail.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: icecast

# marc@schneiders.org / 2002-11-06 18:03:49 +0100:
> On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, at 10:53 [=GMT-0600], Brian Henning wrote:
> > i have icecast installed on my bsd box and it runs great. can
> > someone tell me how i can automatically start this program on boot?
>
> Put a tiny shell script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d
>
> #!/bin/sh
> /usr/local/bin/icecast &
>
> (Assuming that is where it is and how it's called.)
>
> Give it a name that ends in .sh, say ice.sh. Don't forget to set the
> file executable ("chmod 700 ice.sh").
>
> This works for all programs. At boot the system checks for files
> ending in .sh in the the dir mentioned and runs them.

    they're also run at shutdown. they're called with "start" parameter
    during boot, and with "stop" during shutdown.

    you probably don't want to start a second instance of the server
    when the system is going down.

--
If you cc me or take the list(s) out completely I'll most likely ignore
your message.      see http://www.eyrie.org./~eagle/faqs/questions.html