Date:      Thu, 20 Aug 1998 00:37:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      mike grommet <mgrommet@ns.insolwwb.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems with EPoX VIA motherboard?

Hi guys.

I recently upgraded to a new motherboard / cpu / memory / video card
and now that I am trying to run freebsd, I am getting rather random page
faults out of the blue.

Heres the run down:

EPOX mainboard, socket 7 with AGP (100 Mhz bus)
64 Megs of SDRAM, a single DIMM (100 Mhz)
AMD k6-2 / 300 (100 Mhz Bus)
Ultra DMA IDE drive, 6.4 gigs...
A Diamond Viper 330 AGP. (note, not doing any graphics here. page faults
are occuring in text mode)

Basically this started up with FreeBSD 2.2.6... everything seemed fine at
first, everything went as planned.  I decided to cvsup to the 2.2.7 release,
I downloaded the cvsup binary from the ports and insatlled it.
I started the cvsup and it crapped out.

I tried several other things, and it crapped out randomly there too...

well, I had done quite a bit in the way of disk partitioning lately so I
thought maybe somehow I had screwed my 2.2.6 setup.

I thought what the heck and grabbed my older 2.2.1 CD since thats what I
had at home.  I booted off the cdrom to do an install and this went well.
I went through the partitioning information, set up booteasy, setup the
mount points and such, selected the installation method,
and then WHAM. page faulted again.

So, while I realize the above config is fairly new and all, I wanted to
see if you guys have had any problems with the above hardware.  Heck,
at this point I'm not trying to do anything special, and I figured what
the heck, I would give it a try.

Thanks for your help and insight.