Date:      Wed, 24 May 2006 11:20:08 +0100
From:      Craig Edwards <brain@winbot.co.uk>
To:        Andrew McNaughton <andrew@scoop.co.nz>,  freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Security Survey

> Come to that, gentoo's emerge system is pretty good, having learnt a lot
> from FreeBSD's ports system, and then gone a few steps further.
>
> Andrew

I agree, however, i do not like the gentoo dependency upon python for
its package management system. It has not broken on me yet, however i
can imagine if it does it would be a nightmare to fix, as python is not
a trivial program. If FreeBSD ever were to attempt an emerge-like
system, it would be convenient imho (although probably less
maintainable?) to have it done in something smaller and easier to manage
(and easier repair when broken?) such as perl or shellscript.

Craig

--
"Better to reign in Hell than to serve in Heaven" -- Milton