Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2001 13:04:47 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Dave <dave@nexusinternetsolutions.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: forward root mail with qmail install on FreeBSD 4.3

Dave wrote:

> /var/qmail/alias/.qmail-root et.al. files containing the emails of the accounts
> to receive mail for root are in place and correct.  The system still generates
> root messages(daily security outputs and such) which are not being forwarded to
> the addresses indicated.  Qmail is functioning correctly for all other mail
> processed through the server, for numerous domains. virtual root addresses are
> not the problem, the actual "server root" address is the problem for system
> generated messages.

I would guess that the problem is that sendmail is still being used as the default
MTA. If this is the case you have a few options:
1) configure sendmail to properly forward mail
2) replace the sendmail userland program as described in section 4.2.2 of LWQ
   (http://www.lifewithqmail.org/lwq.html#sending-messages)

If I've guessed your problem incorrectly, then, well ... uhh ... I don't know.

Hope this helps,
Bill

--
It may be that true happiness is nothing more than the ability to *always*
know the right thing to say at the right time,  whereas true misery is the