Date:      Sun, 6 Aug 2000 12:44:15 +0200
From:      Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
To:        "David TOUITOU" <david@solexine.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[4]: Network load balancing hardware ...

Hello David,

Sunday, August 06, 2000, 11:51:42 AM, you wrote:
> The traffic coming out of the web servers (or whatever) goes through
> "front end servers", and there too you can put as much as you need.

Outgoing traffic won't be a problem in any case as the backend servers
could be configured to use another router. But what's going to happen if the
primary frontend server for imconing connections fails? We've recently
had a box in a state where it did respond to pings but no daemons were
responding for about two hours... I for my self can see no way to
protect you from such a scenario without some hardware failover
technologies. I relying on DNS for failover tasks is a pretty bad
idea (you can't say how the foreign DNS servers are caching your
records even if you set their TTL to 10s or so...).

Best regards,
 Gabriel