Date:      Mon, 11 Jul 2005 17:08:23 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Rob B <rbyrnes@mailshack.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dhclient.conf for ath wireless

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 22:45:40 +1000
Rob B <rbyrnes@mailshack.com> wrote:

> At 02:49 AM 8/07/2005, Brooks Davis wrote:
> > > Have you tried putting the appropriate ifconfig command line into=20
> > > /etc/start_if.ath0.  That works for me.
> >
> >The correct method is to just add:
> >
> >ifconfig_ath0=3D"ssid MYAP mode 11g DHCP"
> >
> >to /etc/rc.conf.  With exception of devices that load firmware, you
> >probably do not need /etc/start_if.* these days.
>
> I tried that with my wi(4) card and it didn't work.  I needed to make a
> start_if.wi0 file

I think something is wrong with the wlan_wep module or with the wi
driver. I have a strange script on my -current laptop which I run by
hand:
---snip---
ifconfig wi0 inet 192... wepmode on weptxkey 1 ssid ID
kldload wlan_wep
ifconfig wi0 wepkey 1:xxxx
wicontrol -L
route add default ...
ifconfig wi0 wepmode on
wicontrol -L
---snip---

If I don't do it this way (e.g. removing the setup of the first
ifconfig line to the second ifconfig line, or adding the wlan_wep
module to loader.conf), it will not find my accesspoint (FreeBSD 4.11,
wi0 in host-ap mode).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
            Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day;
     teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.