Date:      Mon, 6 Jan 2003 07:36:00 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        "Paul A. Mayer" <paul@fnug.net>
Cc:        phk@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Unable to mount ext2fs partition

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Paul A. Mayer wrote:

> I does printf, but it doesn't initiate the e2fsck.  Using the ports

It prints essentially the same mount failure message as ufs.

> e2fsck has not shown itself to be the way to do restore order.  (I get
> "et hav" of ata unaligned access errors and lots of other garbage.)

It always worked for me until block devices were axed.  Apparently it
still depends on random accesses to non-block boundaries and sizes
working.

> It's easier to boot up a Gentoo LiveCD and "do it right".)

Or upgrade to FreeBSD-3 to get unaxed block devices :->.

The ext2fs utilites work on regular files (better than ffs ones), so
they can be used (very slowly and with muttering about axes) directly
under FreeBSD by copying partitions to regular files, fixing them
there, and copying them back.  This is least painful for mke2fs since
you can start with a sparse file instead of a copy of a partition.

[Context lost to top posting]

Bruce