Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 1997 18:17:42 -0500
From:      Arlie Davis <arlie@thepoint.net>
To:        "'Steve Passe'" <smp@csn.net>, "'Keith Mitchell'" <kmitch@weenix.guru.org>
Cc:        "'smp@freebsd.org'" <smp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Adaptec 3940UW and SMP

It's time for me to join the fray on this one.  We have seven servers,
all identical.  Each has a dual Pentium ASUS EISA/PCI motherboard
(P54NP4, I think).  Each server came with a 3c595 Fast Ethernet card and
an Adaptec 3940 (dual-chain, but not wide).  Each server runs Windows NT
3.51 (some 4.0 now).

I had endless problems with these machines until I figured one thing
out: The Adaptec 3940 BIOS (or perhaps the native system PCI BIOS) kind
of "steals" IRQs from adjacent slots.  These machines have Award BIOS.
You must manually configure the IRQ for each slot.  For example, if the
PCI slots looked like this:

slot	IRQ	device
1	5	Adaptec 3940
2	10	3Com 595
3	11	video card
4	15	empty

then when the system booted, the 3940 would have allocated IRQs 5 AND 10
to itself.  (If the 3940 were in slot four, it would steal the IRQ from
slot 1.)  No matter what slot I put the 3940 in, it steals the IRQ from
the next slot.

What's the use of a dual-channel card when I have to leave one PCI slot
next to it empty?!?!  This is really infuriating.  Perhaps on a PCI/ISA
PNP system, it would automatically be assigned two unused IRQs, but this
never happened on my systems.

So, just for fun, make sure that the slots around the 3940 are empty.
Try the one above, then the one below, and see if your problems go away,
or at least abate.

If anyone has anything enlightening to say about this subject, I would
love to know.  I would especially like to know how to run the 3940s in
my systems in such a way that I can still use the other slots.

-- arlie

P.S. The ASUS motherboard has neither on-board IDE, serial, nor parallel
ports.  The only thing on it is a mouse-port, hard-wired to IRQ 12.