Date:      Mon, 7 Jul 1997 12:57:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert N Watson <rnw@andrew.cmu.edu>
To:        Jim Binkley <jrb@cs.pdx.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: apology and question re certificate servers

On Tue, 1 Jul 1997, Jim Binkley wrote:

> I hate it when I try and send personal mail and send it to
> a mailing list...  Sigh.  Sorry ...  shoot too quick and the foot hurts.
>
> but on the other hand,  a question for anyone on the mailing list.
>
> Has anybody tried to setup any kind of certificate server
> on any kind of system?  With what results?
> I'm not even sure what is available to play with at this point;
> e.g., that might cost money or be free.
>
> 	1. netscape server + certificate server I presume to do ssl
> 		3.0 stuff with netscape clients.
> 	2. dns sec stuff somewhere?
> 	3. ssleay?

A free reference DNSsec implementation is available from Trusted
Information Systems (TIS) at:

http://www.tis.com/docs/research/network/dns.html

It is based on BIND 4.9.5, although we currently have a BIND8 DNSsec
implementation in the workings.  Information on getting/configuring/etc
DNSsec is all on that page.  You'll need to get a copy of RSARef (free but
export-restricted.)  Instructions are all there.  Since DNSsec is still
under development (NXT records, dynamic DNS interaction, etc, are still
underway, as is a clarify document, I believe.)

With regards to other stuff -- haven't tried SSL/TLS in any of its forms,
server-side.  I noticed the other day that MIT now has their own
certificate service (was grabbing some IETF Security Directorate stuff,
and had to install a certificate in my browser before I could view the
pages.)  Seemed a little unusual -- I guess they are not interested in
Verisign's offerings?

Robert Watson
(rwatson@tis.com for Trusted Information Systems related mail)