Date:      Tue, 4 Jan 2000 21:21:35 +0100
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: enabling bridge-support in rc.conf?

Dear Oliver !

On Tue, Jan 04, 2000 at 08:28:04PM +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Because that's the way it works.
>
>  > I believe a newbie to Freebsd assumes that the kernel-option BRIDGE
>  > should be enought to enable such functionality!
>
> I believe a newbie should read the bridge(4) manpage, and it
> states that you have to enable the feature using sysctl.
> It's pretty clear, IMO.
>
> Never assume anything.  Read the docs.

While you might be true when saying that in general you should always read
the docs before doing something, we were not speaking about how this is
working
now but rather discussing a possible change to the things as they are now.

Sure, it worked *before*
when you had to manually configure Linux support (fortunately it was already
in rc.conf) and also install one or two ports manually before linux support
would work but isn't it much more handy now, when you can select linux
support at install time and have sysinstall install the required packages
*and* at the same time configure rc.conf? The next time the system comes up,
everything is dandy. Especially with things like this, which need to be
configured only once and then left alone, more transparency is always
welcome. You can spare the many routine newbie questions (even experineced
sysadmins can get confused when switching over) and also you should note that
the docs
are often so old that if you only followed them, it would not be a handy
journey. (For example the docs up to this day ignore the tool 'mergemaster'
although it has become a standard util from a third-party app.)
IMHO more transparency and user-friendliness is always good if it can
peacefully coexist with flexibility and robustness. And this is such a case.

BTW I see another similar case: why do you need a sysctl in order to allow
ordinary users to mount/umount removable media? In Linux it is much more
simple and now it is their advantage: it is a breeze to configure a system
to automatically mount a CD as it is inserted and even auto-start playing it
with the audio player of your choice. (I have tested this today on RH 6.1)
You might think it is overkill, but it can be a nice feature on a desktop.
(Yes, unlike many, I do think that Linux and UNIX are alternatives on the
desktop even today. What else could I say when I use it here for almost a year
without dual-booting?)

> "In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
>                                          (Terry Pratchett)
Hilft man ihnen aber nicht dabei, werden viele von ihnen vergebens warten.

Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM