Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2002 16:16:50 -0500
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        gus@algonet.se
Subject:   Re: ATAPI or SCSI CD burner?

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002 15:05:26 +0100, Gustaf Tham <gus@algonet.se> wrote:

=> My Plextor SCSI CD burner has gone to the heaven of CD burners.
=> Presumably a very cool place.
=>
=> Is it these days OK to use an ATAPI burner -- save me a pile of $$?
=> It seems burncd does not yet do DAO, but soon will...
=> And cdrdao can be used with IDE drives after applying a patch...
=> And so on.  Maybe still better off with SCSI?

Right now, I think you are much better off with SCSI, because the
application support is far richer.  With vanilla ATAPI under -RELEASE or
-STABLE you are pretty much limited to burncd.  If you are used to
cdrecord or cdrdao---and the flexibility they offer---burncd can seem
a little "bare bones."  Also, good DAE tools like cdparanoia work with
SCSI library developed by the author of cdrecord.

You *can* use cdrecord and cdrdao with ATAPI burners if you apply the
ATAPICAM patches, but it is a pain to keep all that in synch if you're
wont to rebuild your kernel more than every once in a blue moon.

BTW, does anyone know if burncd supports BURN-proof?  (If so, does it
do it automagically, as I could find no switch to enable it listed in
the man page.)  Cdrecord supports BURN-proof.

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa