Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 1999 13:14:55 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>
To:        Andrew McNaughton <andrew@scoop.co.nz>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, Michael Richards <026809r@dragon.acadiau.ca>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Allowing non root users to bind low ports

> > > I was giving this concept a little thought. If I'm not root and I can bind
> > > a low port, let's say the telnet port. I could write myself a fake telnet
> > > daemon and run it. Sooner or later, someone is going to try using it...
> > > This whole thing about non-root users binding to low ports would only be
> > > useful if there are no shell accounts on a machine IMO.
> >
> > Well, duh. That's why we want to turn this off before going multiuser
> > (but after starting stuff like sendmail etc.)
>
> That approach is of limited use unless you're prepared to reboot your machine
> every time you want to change your sendmail configuration.

If you're serious about security, then this is the sort of
trade-off you have to make.

> Sounds too much like Windows for my liking.  Nothing short of reconfiguring
> the kernel or a make world should require a reboot.

A normal production box probably won't change configuration in
between OS upgrades anyway, so this is not such a hardship as it
might seem.  Boxes where experimental configurations are being
changed all the time will not run with elevated secure levels
and won't be inconvenienced.

--
Greg Black -- <gjb@acm.org> or <gjb@computer.org>
Fight censorship in Australia: <http://www.efa.org.au>;