Date:      Sat, 5 Jan 2002 00:08:37 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
Cc:        Pete Fritchman <petef@databits.net>, FreeBSD Ports List <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Request for all ports

On Tue, Dec 25, 2001 at 10:49:53AM -0500, Alan Eldridge wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 25, 2001 at 10:45:17AM -0500, Pete Fritchman wrote:
> >++ 26/12/01 02:39 +1100 - Daeron:
> >|  Could you include in your guidelines for ports directories a request that
> >| everyone use "CONFIGURE_ARGS+=" instead of a "CONFIGURE_ARGS="  to allow
> >| people to pass additional parameters without having to hack the Makefile.
> >|  Perhaps you could consider running a script to update any existing
> >| port-Makefiles seeming it is such a small change?
> >
> >I agree with you.  What do others think?
> >
> >I'd be willing to do the change, as well.
>
> Are there any ports (using MASTERDIR, maybe, to build out of another ports
> dir, or the MASTERDIR port itself) where this could break something? I would
> recommend against using a script to do it.
>
> But a grep and manual changes? I think it's a good idea.

[ok, so this is an old thread, so I am a lazy slob who does not like
to read a lot of mail during the holidays.. so sue me! ;]

Well, to start with, this would break dependencies..
A port's CONFIGURE_ARGS are set in the environment when make(1)
is invoked for a build-, lib- or run-dependency, so a += in that
dependency would inherit the first port's arguments.  Not really
a good thing in general, is it now..

G'luck,
Peter

--
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.