Date:      08 Jan 2003 21:08:12 +0800
From:      Khairil Yusof <kaeru@pd.jaring.my>
To:        shubha mr <shubha_mr@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP kernel installation

--=-d7U0atpxJx7VDRr5q4pJ

On Tue, 2003-01-07 at 14:18, shubha mr wrote:

> For a multiprocessor machine,to install FreeBSD,is
> something extra needs to be done from what will be
> done to install the OS for a uni processor machine?I
> mean is there anything different to be installed for a
> symmetric multi processor machine?

Posted a reply to this a while back (check the archives).

After installation you just need to recompile the kernel (see the
freebsd handbook).

You just need to uncomment/enable these options in the GENERIC kernel
configuration like so:

#cpu		I486_CPU
cpu		I586_CPU
cpu	        I686_CPU

options 	SMP		# Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
options 	APIC_IO		# Symmetric (APIC) I/O

recompile and reboot:

#cat /var/run/dmesg.boot | grep SMP

should give you this message:

SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!

If you're curious, you can run top. It will have a CPU column.

--=20
Khairil Yusof <kaeru@pd.jaring.my>

--=-d7U0atpxJx7VDRr5q4pJ

--=-d7U0atpxJx7VDRr5q4pJ--