Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2001 22:27:30 -0500
From:      "Anthony Volodkin" <bytehedd@yahoo.com>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Bridging on FreeBSD - loss of data in packets.

Hi,

Today I setup bridging on a Freebsd 4.2 machine with dual Intel EEPRO100s.
Added the kernel option, set the sysctl variables, and setup ipfw to allow
all traffic (got my info from here:
http://people.freebsd.org/~nsayer/bdg-ipfw.txt )

Then i connected another machine to fxp1 via a crossover cable.  Fxp0 is
connected to the rest of the network.  When I try to ping any machine on the
other side of the bridge from the box behind it, most of my packets (149 of
150 pings) get lost.  Occasionally a few make it through.
I decided to tcpdump on the bridge to see if I can see anything unusual.
Here's what grabbed my attention:
20:27:33.722272 truncated-ip - 38 bytes missing!10.10.9.1 > 10.10.9.2: icmp:
echo request (DF)
20:27:59.511615 truncated-ip - 14 bytes missing!10.10.9.1.1887 >
d83b5f53.dsl.
flashcom.net.http: S 3132881080:3132881080(0) win 5840 <mss
1460,sackOK,[|tcp]>
(DF)
There were LOTS of these from the 10.10.9.1, the box behind the router!  I
guess they are the reason its not working.  The only reason I can think of
is the fact that the box behind the bridge is equipped with a 10Mbit card
while the bridge itself has 100Mbit cards.
Has anyone else ever had this problem?  What can I do to diagnose this
further, or fix it?
Any input is highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Anthony Volodkin