Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 1996 11:46:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Any Pentium boards with more than 4 PCI slots?

> Does anybody know of Pentium boards which support more than 4 PCI
> slots?

No, but if you find anything please do let us all know about it!

> One of my customers has a requirement for up to 8 or 10
> slots.

That would either require 2 host to PCI bridge chips, and I don't
know of any Pentium Host to PCI bridge chips that allow more than
1, though in theory you could probably do it with some glue logic
and the 82439HX chip since it at least understands 3 devices being
on the host bus.

Or 2 PCI-PCI bridges giving a primary PCI bus with 2 slots open
and 2 secondary buses with 4 slots each.

> My understanding is that this is only possible with a PCI
> bridge--is this correct?

No, that is now the only way it could be done, see above.  But this
is the most economical way it could be done.

> If so (and even if not, I suppose), how transparent is the PCI bridge
> to the software?

Once configured correctly a PCI-PCI bridge is totally transparent to
both the software and the hardware as far as functionality goes.

> How much slower is it than the direct side of the PCI bus?

Thats a ``Complicated Question'', both sides of the bridge still run at
full speed, but when a transaction must cross the bridge the chip must
aquire the other bus (and the other bus may be busy due to having
multiple masters on it), after the aquire the bridge looks like a 1
clock delay.

But then, some of the bridges (DEC DC21050, go dig around on
http://www.dec.com for full data sheets, app notes, and even
schematics and order numbers for a evaluation board that would
add 4 PCI slots to any standard motherboard) have posting buffers
that would eliminate or atleast make transparent some of this
loss in performance.

> Are there any other gotchas?

Yea, most chipsets don't have a way to route more than 4 interrupts
to PCI slots, thus your going to be forced to share interrupts unless
you go with a custom design.

How ``important'' is the need for this product, ie, would it be
worth the ~$250,000 NRE charges to have a custom solution designed?
Remeber with enough money you can have almost anything designed and
built that is technically possible to due.