Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 19:06:37 -0400
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Brett G. Castleberry" <bcc9746@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Cc:        dan.langille@dvl-software.com, Herbert M Pollard <hpollard@jps.net>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Newbies First Aid Kit

On Mon, Jun 14, 1999 at 02:32:55AM -0400, Brett G. Castleberry wrote:

> all little eager Linux puppies sharing discoveries with each other.  I am a

Interesting analogy.  :)

>     With FreeBSD, I feel like I'm talking to professors.  If I ask a
> professor about something, she (or he) will want to know whether I have done
> the reading first.  If not, she's got no time for me.  I bought a used 486

Well, fwiw, I barely qualify as a 20-something (well, technically I
don't, period), only just completed first year university, and am
violently opposed to CS.  I get listed under the "developer" section
of the handbook, but it's never been clear why.  ;-)

Anyways, I'm trying to pull away a little from the stereotype of
FreeBSD developers as cold impersonal objects: that's the only reason
I left this Cc: to -newbies, still.  We're just as warm and cuddly as
any newbie, really!  (I dare any newbie to try being warmer or
cuddlier than me!  Hehe).

> useful, brief thing I could tell him was that Linux is a kind of Unix, and
> that therefore not only the small Linux selection was pertinent to his
> query, but also the much larger Unix section.  He had never heard of Unix.

Ya, I know...

--
This is my .signature which gets appended to the end of my messages.