Date:      Sat, 23 Jan 1999 01:34:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   softupdates bug shows on zip drive and parallel port in NIBBLE mode

I tried both cam and bio -- no difference. It is not that it's
slow -- I was prepared for that, it is that it totally hangs --
forever.

I narrowed it down to softupdates. If I disable the softupdates on
the cartridge's filesystem copying finishes successfully. Somehow
the `cp' process takes 150% of the CPU time (purely single CPU system),
but that's a different story, I guess.

I hope, this sad experience of mine will help further improve
softupdates.

	-mi

----- Forwarded message from Alfred Perlstein -----
On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, Mikhail Teterin wrote:

> When I try to cp a big file (Wordperfect distribution) onto a Zip
> cartridge (with ufs with softupdates) the whole system becomes "jerky"
> and soon hangs -- I can still go from one virtual console to another,
> but can not do anything and need cold reboot.
[...]

try searching the lists, my suggestion is to compile like so:

controller  ppc0  at isa? disable port ? tty irq 7

change to:

controller  ppc0  at isa? disable port ? cam irq 7