Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 17:28:24 -0500
From:      Chris Snell <chris@bikeworld.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        scottl@freebsd.org, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need Ultra160 RAID Recommendations

At 05:38 AM 10/13/2000, Mike Smith wrote:

>Can you start by making sure that you're running the most recent firmware
>for the controller from Dell?

Yep, running V2.1-3 Build 2951.  It appears that this firmware revision was
released in March of 2000.  I wonder if there is something newer but not
yet released on their support site?

>  Also, I've copied Scott Long, who is now
>the front-line maintaining this driver.  Scott - I've got a couple folks
>now that are reporting the Pablano adapters locking up under heavy load.

I'm skeptical that my problem is the same as the heavy load problems.  The
system locks up during install as "chunks" of the distributions are being
ftp'ed.  The ftp was maxing out at around 32KB/sec.

When the system locks up, I can change between the virtual consoles (to the
shell and error log) but there are no interesting (ie. out of the ordinary)
log messages displayed.  After the lockup, I can run a few commands at the
shell prompt but after three or four commands, the commands stop
responding.  Perhaps they are waiting for the filesystem?

Chris
--
Chris Snell <chris@bikeworld.com>               210.828.5558 W
Systems & Networks Architect                    210.602.2308 M