Date:      Tue, 30 May 2017 13:53:29 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scottl@netflix.com>
To:        Dustin Wenz <dustinwenz@ebureau.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Inferring SAS expander topology

Hi Dustin,

FreeBSD relies on the LSI firmware to manage topology, and has no =
awareness of it on these controllers.  You can send SMP commands =
directly via the camcontrol utility and perform topology management and =
discovery manually.   I=E2=80=99m not sure if sg3_utils knows how to =
communicate with this, though.

Scott

> On May 30, 2017, at 11:00 AM, Dustin Wenz <dustinwenz@ebureau.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> I'm working on a server that has 6 LSI SAS expanders connected to it. =
Two of them are throwing intermittent command errors and need some =
attention. Because the host only has four external 8088 ports, I know =
some of the expanders are chained through each other.
>=20
> Before I can send parts for replacement, I need to determine if the =
two problematic expanders are either daisy-chained or directly connected =
to the host. On Linux, this is trivial; I would just browse the device =
topology in /sys/. However, this machine is running FreeBSD 10.3, and I =
am unable to find a way to do this. I have sg3_utils available, as well =
as any build-in FreeBSD tools. Using this software, is it possible to =
determine if a SAS expander is chained off of another?