Date:      Sun, 07 Jun 1998 20:31:50 +0200
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
To:        "John H. Waaser" <waas@mindspring.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing Free BSD over the Internet

> John H. Waaser wrote:
>

> I attempted to install a copy of Free BSD on a new computer the other
> night, and got as far as the NETWORK CONFIGURATION screen.
>
> I called my ISP, MINDSPRING, who said that this was a non-supported
> operating system, and they could not help me.
>
> The screen comes up and asks for the following:
>
> HOST:
> DOMAIN
>
> GATEWAY                                                     NAME
> SERVER
>
> Configuration for interface lp0
>
> IP Address                                                      Net
> Mask
>
> Extra options:
>
> I assumed that the host should be ftp.freebsd.org, but my ISP said it
> should be ftp.mindspring.com.
> Domain appears to be filled in automatically from the information in
> Host.

The above configuration is for your machine, not the ftp server. I.e.
host is your own machine's name (whatever you choose, I guess, if you're
not ion a LAN). Nameserver is correct as you state it. For your ethernet
interface (which is not what you wan't to use for the installation), I
suggest the private address 192.168.0.1 and netmask 255.255.255.0.

Good luck in installing an external modem (which will probably work
better than the internal one).

> I partitioned the drive with 800 MB root--at first I tried 200 MB and
> it would not accept that. Then I put in 500 MB Swap, an 800 MB /usr,
> and another 341 MB to finish the drive off. I requested the
> X-Developer installation from the FTP Server, and specified the
> Primary FTP server.

800 M root sounds like a lot! about a hundred should suffuicient, but it
depends on what you wan't to do with the system, of course.