Date:      Fri, 20 Apr 2001 19:15:18 -0400
From:      Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Playing DVD movies on FreeBSD (was Re: DVD drive.)

On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 04:38:29PM -0600, Nate Williams wrote:
> > I, for one, have specifically gotten 'The Matrix' to play on my
> > desktop under 4.1-RELEASE.
>
> Do you have a 'cookbook' that shows how this is done, including the
> software you used?

Adjust for your system, and I assume you can find the right software
off of the net, and patch if neccessary.

What I'm doing (and I certainly would appreciate input from folks
doing things differently.

As root:

  mount_cd9660 /dev/acd0c /mnt
  /usr/local/dvd/bin/tstdvd /dev/acd0c

This'll print out magic numbers, and end with

  Received Session Key:   XX XX XX XX XX
  Authenticated
  Received Disc Key:      XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX
  Authenticated

if it works.

As a user, get a list of vob files.

  % find /mnt -name \*.vob

This combination of tools works best for me:

In a simple script ( I call mine 'vob_play'):

  FindKey $1 | DecVOB $1 | mpeg2player -vob -f -

Which you'd call with:

  ./vob_play <vob_file>

You can play it off of disk directly.  I can even pull it (choppily)
off of my laptop via a PCMCIA DVD-ROM.

Hint: the start of the movie is vts_02_1.vob.

YMMV.  My tools are months old.

I have found several difficulties:

- the sound doesn't always syncronize well.
- tstdvd can't guess every disc's key.
- the bottleneck is not the decryption, but the playing; I don't
  know a UNIX mpeg player that will take advantage of any MPEG
  hardware, so you're trapped to what you're CPU can do.
- with some tools, your X display has to be set to 16 bits.

Hence, some disks / titles won't work with these tools.

When I have time, I want to check out the lastest-and-greatest
tools, but, hey.

Have fun...

--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert		<reichert@numachi.com>
37 Crystal Ave. #303			Daytime number: (603) 434-6842