Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 1997 19:30:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dmitry Kohmanyuk <dk@dog.farm.org>
To:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl (Wilko Bulte)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Different kernels for the bindist and boot.flp?

In article <199709181750.TAA02619@yedi.iaf.nl> you wrote:
> > > This is why I was thinking about seperating the bin dist into a bin dist and
> > > a kernel dist. The new bin dist contains everything non-kernel specific,
> > > the kernel dists each contain one kernel with support for a specific set of
> > > features, and the kernel config file used to create them.
> >
> > This rapidly reduces to supplying the kernel sources and a text editor.
> > The alternative is a million different kernel distributions, which are
> > nothing short of a terror to maintain.

> There is already a name for this. It's called 'Linux' ;-)

Yes, and in Linux, you can take any kernel you want, and boot from
it, and then use the same root disk as you have used for installing
your system on `standard' hardware.  Without making release.
Yikes, you can even boot from the same 2 floppies, get a shell,
and then mount your hard drive and repair any hard errors.
What's more, you can specify root disk and kernel disk separately.

Linux, in fact, sucks ;-)

--
EXCLUSIONS. This warranty does not cover the following:
... 3. Damages caused by ... external causes such as abuse, misuse, inadequate