Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 2000 01:12:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help with printcap file

Hello,

	I'm trying to set up printing from my FreeBSD 4.1.1 Release box.
I'm getting very confused with the instructions in the handbook (Section
9.4.3.1)  Here's my setup:  I have two Macintosh computers and my FreeBSD
box and an HP Laserjet 2100M (with the jetdirect NIC which does
understand lpd) all connected by a hub to a lynksys router.  I have a
static IP and all the computers and the printer are configured using DHCP
(only because I don't understand IP addressing enough to do other wise.)
	Currently the local address of the printer is 192.168.1.100.  By
telneting to it I find:
HP JetDirect
Please type "?" for HELP, or "/" for current settings
> /
   ===JetDirect Telnet Configuration===
        Firmware Rev.   : G.07.20
        MAC Address     : 00:10:83:77:c1:17
        Config By       : DHCP

        IP Address      : 192.168.1.100
        Subnet Mask     : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway : 192.168.1.1
        Syslog Server   : Not Specified
        Idle Timeout    : 90 Seconds
        Set Cmnty Name  : Not Specified
        Host Name       : NPI77C117

And here's what I tried in the printcap file:
hplj2100:|text|hewlett packard laserjet 2100m:\
        :lp=:rm=NPI77C117:rp=hplj2100:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd/hplj2100:

I know that's not right since:
%lp -d hplj2100 ./foo
(no output from printer, but I do see lights on the hub blink)

but is it in the spool?    Files do appear in the spool directory
%lpq
lpq: printer not found
%lpq hplj2100
lpq: printer not found
%lpq text
lpq: printer not found

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I tried reading the termcap and
printcap man pages but they were confusing too.  I bet this is really
simple once you understand it but I'm pretty confused by the instructions
because they mostly seem to apply to a printer attached to host computer.
Thanks in advance,
						Tim