Date:      Mon, 01 May 1995 01:57:20 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
Cc:        moto@CS.cmu.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: AHC2940 + Micropolis/Seagate w/wo tagged queueing

>> I have two types of drive (Micropolis 4221 and Seagate Barracuda I
>> (ST11950N)) and an AHA-2490. I did some experiments with these drives
>> enabling/disabling the tagged queueing option on 940412-SNAP. Here is
>> the result:

>> I think that 950412 kernel is almost rock solid w.r.t. aha2940 driver,
>> but looks like it still has a subtle timing problem. Not to mention,
>> there is a possibility that this is just caused by a drive's firmware
>> problem, though. I'd like to hear an experience from other people who
>> are using aha2940. Thanks!
>
>Whats the status of this ? We use AHA 2940 in our departement.
>I'd love to see this fixed. I wanna persuade our developers to
>go with FreeBSD when 2.1 is out. So this is important for me.
>
>	Andreas ///

When David Greenman decided to go with 3 2940 controllers in wcarchive,
a push was made to correct the many problems in the sequencer code that
is downloaded to the aic7xxx chip on these boards.  It took almost a
week to acomplish, but the current sequencer code seems solid when
running without tagged queuing.  With tagged queuing, it seems to
fail on some Seagate model drives, but everything else that has been
tried so far has worked.  As soon as I get a little more time, I'll
be looking into the problem with the Segate drives.  For now, the
driver will ship with tag queuing disabled and optionally enabled
via a kernel config option (AHC_TAGENABLE).

--
Justin T. Gibbs
TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1