Date:      04 Sep 2002 09:14:30 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
To:        dan@slightlystrange.org
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Macros in ipfw rules

Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org> writes:

> I have managed to get our departmental intranet site migrated from Win2K
> to FreeBSD 4.6.2 (yay me - I did good ;-), and am now having trouble with
> ipfw.  I want to use a macro to prevent large groups of networks and
> hosts from connecting, but I've drawn a blank with the syntax.

You might want to consider doing it the other way around; create rules
for what traffic you want to let in, and then drop everything else.

> can use m4 or cpp, for example, but I cannot fathom the syntax necessary
> to establish the macros.

A simple scripting language is a much easier way to do this.

> Anyone have any pointers to some docs online I can look at, or example
> rules I can rip off?  Or even a "reread the man pages, you twit, there's
> examples aplenty" would be OK ;-)

The canonical set of examples is /etc/rc.firewall.  I suspect that in
this case you will also find /usr/share/examples/ipfw to be useful,
and there's a large section in the FreeBSD handbook that you should
examine closely.

Good luck.