Date:      Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:17:54 -0700
From:      Joshua Oreman <oremanj@get-linux.org>
To:        Jimmy Kimanzi <jimmy@swiftkenya.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kuser/root account problem

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 04:26:24PM +0300 or thereabouts, Jimmy Kimanzi wrote:
> Hi
>
> I used the kuser utility in KDE to add a user to the wheel group and it seems to have deleted the root account and I can't login as root now .
> Anyone know how I can fix this ?
> I'm running FreeBSD 5.1 - RELEASE and KDE 3.1.2.

Try <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<F1>, then login as root. I think kuser probably forgot to run pwd_mkdb -- lucky for you :-)

If that doesn't work, follow the instructions for a "forgotten root password"
('tis in the FAQ). When you're in single user mode, try `grep root /etc/master.passwd'.
If something comes back, type `passwd root' to reset root's password. If nothing comes back,
you'll have to add a line for root manually in /etc/master.passwd. Then run pwd_mkdb /etc/master.passwd.
Whatever you do, type `exit' or <Ctrl>+D now.

-- Josh