Date:      Fri, 9 Aug 1996 22:01:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Leon Kaplan <kaplan@cslab.tuwien.ac.at>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Page faults during installation

On Thu, 8 Aug 1996, Leon Kaplan wrote:

> Are non-parity RAMs ok with FreeBSD? Is there any FAQ describing which
> RAMs are considered FreeBSD compliant and which ones should be avoided?

RAM parity is an issue between the BIOS and the memory, not really a
operating system issue.

Now, defective memory is.  I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions.  The best
thing for you may be to find a good (local?) source & manufacturer for
your RAM, and stick with them, and make sure they'll take back bad RAM.

It's rather pathetic how much bad RAM I see on this list.  I would think
that RAM manufacturers would hold themselves to higher standards,
especially with the proliferation of OSs with the memory usage
sophistication like FreeBSD.