Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2005 08:35:07 -0500
From:      Leonard Zettel <zettel@acm.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Anthony Atkielski <atkielski.anthony@wanadoo.fr>
Subject:   Re: Installation instructions for Firefox somewhere?

On Sunday 27 February 2005 04:01 am, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> John writes:
> > I suppose I'm nit-picking here, but you would cron it rather than running
> > it by hand.
>
> It's mostly the space that I prefer not to part with.
>
> > How much space have you got to play with?
>
> About 2 GB total remaining on /usr.  Just installing X stuff gobbled up
> a few hundred megabytes, it seems.
>
> > If space is tight, running make
> > distclean after make install helps, as does periodically deleting the
> > contents of /usr/ports/distfiles
>
> Does pkg_add do this?
>
> > [0] if you mean, by "pull the index from an ftp site" cd /usr/ports &&
> > make index
>
> I meant running /stand/sysinstall and selecting an FTP site as the
> "installation media" for the software.  It always downloads some sort of
> index when I do that, which I assume is an up-to-date list of all the
> ports available.

Being somewhat of a newvie, I should probably not be saying anything,
but that's the assumption that nailed you.

If I understand the situation correctly, what you got was information
on *packages* available when the OS version was released, a subset
of available ports.  And this time around, that list was not in a totally
self-consistent state.

My own experiences have given me a definite bias toward using the
ports system to compile stuff to be added to my system rather than
going with the binary packages.  I get the impression that many
port maintainers who are fairly careful about keeping their port
versions workable and patched only give a relative lick and promise
to their packages.
   -LenZ-