Date:      Sat, 15 Oct 2016 18:22:46 -0700
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jasoncwells@fastmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Filesystem Label Ambiguity

New question related to this topic.  I re-labeled my partitions and my
filesystems to use unique labels (volumeN). When I mounted what I
thought was a new empty partition, I found old files there.  Ack!

Even though I had provided new unique labels, my mount was mounting an
unknown partition and disk. This behavior persists across a reboot. Some
configuration somewhere is hanging on to old labels, or some other
behavior that I misunderstand. I'm in a situation now where I cannot
identify or trust that any partition is the intended partition to mount.

How do I go backward from a label to a special device file? ( a slightly
different question than before )

I'll answer my own question, glabel status and the man page for glabel
seem to offer some help. Any other pointers are welcome.

Regards,
Jason C. Wells