Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 2004 04:23:29 +0300
From:      "Andrew P." <infofarmer@mail.ru>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   rc.network glitch

Hello!

I posted this problem earlier here, but I haven't got any response yet.
I tried to debug it myself and here's where I stand:

The problem was that ppp does not start automatically at system startup,
although all ppp_* variables are properly set in /etc/rc.conf. I tried
to edit /etc/rc.network a little, adding a couple of echo's and a
redirection.
        case ${ppp_enable} in
        [Yy][Ee][Ss])
                su -m ${ppp_user} -c "exec ${ppp_command}" 2>&1 >
/var/log/yesppp
                echo "Yes!!!" >> /var/log/yesppp
                echo ${ppp_command} >> /var/log/yesppp
                ;;
        esac
So after I restarted the box, I have this yesppp file containing only
two lines:
    Yes!!!
    /usr/sbin/ppp -quiet -ddial -nat mtu

I guess it should mean that everything's okay, but ppp has not been
actually started! There's not even a record in /var/log/ppp.log. I tried
to type by hand:
    su -m root -c "/usr/sbin/ppp -quiet -ddial -nat mtu"
and it starts okay. There's no error in dmesg, no kld's are loaded at
startup, network is configured all right. Could anyone hint at how to
debug such problems?

Best regards,
Andrew P.