Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 99 12:15:19 -0500
From:      Kiakas <stefanos@traveler.uniscape.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: State of the union, 1999.

You wrote:
> I've got a better idea.  Let's look at this from the point of view
> that it has been discussed over and over again before, long before
> you crowd of newbies ever flocked in here, and
>
> WE'RE NOT GOING TO GET RID OF THE DAEMON!

	I wasn't around back then, so stop yelling!

	Everything changes the source code, the algorithms, the ports
collection, etc. Why? How about marketing? What is so sacred about the
marketing material that it cannot change? Should we not try and improve
everything about FreeBSD? Should we just worry about the technical
aspects, and then wonder why FreeBSD is not getting the recognition it
deserves.

	Just like the code and technical aspects of FreeBSD are
upgraded, so should the marketing material. Atter all, excelence is not
being perfect at only fifty percent of a task.

> If a company doesn't want to use the most stable, reliable operating
> system on the planet because they're afraid someone might call them
> a devil-worshipper, they're just going to have to live with that
> decision.

	This is not a technical, but a marketing consideration. Why do
you want to put obstacles in the way of promoting FreeBSD?

> Any of you who really don't like this are perfectly free to take the
> FreeBSD source tree and go off and start your own AngelOS project.
> Adopt whatever you want for a mascot, attempt whatever feats of
> marketing and engineering prowess you feel are necessary, do whatever
> you want with your distributions.  The BSD license allows you to do
> this.  To get some glimmer of how important this point is, consider
> the fact that ALL THREE free BSD projects use various forms of the
> daemon as their logo.

	I thought the point here, on FreeBSD advocacy, was to make
FreeBSD much more sucessful, not "10 easy ways to start a new UNIX
distribution."
Please explain how starting a new distribution will make FreeBSD better.