Date:      Mon, 05 Aug 1996 07:41:11 -0500
From:      samurai@iosys.net (Rich Bornhofer)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   perhaps i am just stupid.

Allrighty then..

  I still can't get the dos partition install to work. Yes i transfered
the files in binary mode, yes i deleted the partition that freebsd is to
go on with fdisk and re-did the entire partition creation from scratch.
Yes the directory that contains the files is c:\freebsd\bin,
c:\freebsd\doc, c:\freebsd\info etc, etc.. The insallation starts out
fine.
   The first error i get while in the install menu based application is
'write failure on transfer (-1 bytes writen of 1024 bytes)'.
So i went to the debugging screen.. lots of /mnt/stand.. stuff.. alot of
cpio:.. stuff.. then we get to the first DEBUG: thingy..

DEBUG: Generating /etc/fstab file
mountmsdosfs():Warning root directory is not a multiple of the cluster
size in length.
DEBUG: Mounted dos device (/dev/wd0s1) on dos
DEBUG: Request for bin/bin.tgz from dos
DEBUG: Request for bin/bin.inf from dos
DEBUG: Request for bin/bin.aa from dos
.
bin/cat
bin/chmod
/stand/cpio: invalid header: checksum error
DEBUG: request for bin/bin.ab from dos

gunzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--format violated
DEBUG: switching back to VTY1
/stand/spio: premature end of file

 I accuired the above after the first write error.

Then i was prompted and asked if i would like to try to retrieve the
data again, i chose yes. As soon as i chose yes, it started to extract
the doc/ files..
I got another write error after a minute or two.. and the debugging
screen showed..

usr/share/doc/FAQ/...html for the entire buffer up.. and the last few
lines were..

gunzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--format violated
 <a few more ......html entries..like 3 i think..>
/stand/cpio: premature end of file

Again i was prompted for doc and i chose yes, and was immediately put
into extracting the games  files.. with a write failure, and games.aa
was the file that failed the gunzip. Prompted again, chose yes, straight
in to the manpages.. errors there, went to the info files.. checksum
error.. started the xf86312 files, gunzip error. Then there was a panic,
disks were synced, and the system rebooted.. I still don't have a root
directory structure on my freebsd partition, so i am going to have to
delete it again, and start over.
  I deleted ALL of the files i had from before and ftped (4 hours worth)
a new bin, info, manpages, doc, games, and xf86312 (server, doc etc),
and there were instances in AVERY group of invalid files! I have never
before in the 3 years of bouncing around the net and downloading files
had so much trouble with data integrity.. what is going on here? I have
even downloaded a 14-MB .exe file before, with NO error, why can't i get
these? Or, is there something wrong with some other part of my system
that FreeBSD doesn't like, as the root file system of my dos partition
seems to frustrate it (but it works fine, win95)?
  Well, i will be deleting ALL of the files i have, and the partition to
start from scratch. If anyone has any ideas as to how i can get these
files to my system (as my modem doesn't like com2, and i can't get
freebsd to take it on com3, and i am painfully aware that com4 is not an
option, so i can't do the ftp install) I would greatly appriciate some
help here. I am completely baffled as to why i can't seem to get sound
copies of the release files.

  Thank you for your time,

   Ray, the very flustered, and considering a new modem (that works on
com2 ;)