Date:      Fri, 23 May 2008 13:42:30 +0300
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonicy@otenet.gr>
To:        Lasse Brandt <lasse@bitmand.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mistake in the FreeBSD Handbook on geom

Lasse Brandt wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I think I might have found a mistake in the handbook - first off this
> is the first time I try to setup geom, so there is a good chance that
> I might miss something :)
>
> I was following instructions on this page:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/geom-mirror.html
>
> About half-way down it says:
> "Now edit the replicated /mnt/etc/fstab file and remove or comment out
> the swap file [1]. Change the other file system information to use the
> new disk as shown in the following example:"
>
> A little later you should reboot into single user mode and "At the
> console, ensure that the system booted from the gm0s1a."
>
> But I doubt that will ever happen - the handbook only tells me to
> change /mnt/etc/fstab (which is the secondary disk) so when booting,
> it will still use /etc/fstab (which hasn't changed).
>
> After I changed /etc/fstab as well - everything worked fine :)

I have not read this part of the handbook carefully (yet) but it seems
to suggest a way of using two disks, where you transfer everything to
the second disk (after you create a gm device on it) and then you reboot
from this second disk. In this case, the instructions are correct:
/mnt/etc/fstab will become /etc/fstab when you effectively boot from the
second disk. One possible caveat is that you would have to possibly
adjust your BIOS (or disk jumpers) so it actually boots from the second
disk the second time. It seems your rebooted using the first disk.

If what you are actually looking for is a simple way to create a RAID1
for a new installation, this is an absolutely excellent and quite simple
article:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2005/11/10/FreeBSD_Basics.html?page=1

I have used this concept on several installs, and was always successful.