Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 01:24:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      <mike@seidata.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   login.conf

Hello,

I'm trying to create some login classes other than 'default'.  Here's
one I've added:

billing:\
        :sessionlimit=1:\
        :welcome=/etc/motd:\
        :setenv=MAIL=/var/mail/$,BLOCKSIZE=K,EDITOR=/usr/bin/ee:\
        :path=~/bin /bin /usr/bin /usr/local/bin:\
        :manpath=/usr/share/man /usr/local/man:\
        :nologin=/etc/nologin:\
        :cputime=unlimited:\
        :datasize=20m:\
        :stacksize=8m:\
        :memorylocked=10m:\
        :memoryuse=30m:\
        :filesize=unlimited:\
        :coredumpsize=2m:\
        :openfiles-cur=64:\
        :maxproc=64:\
        :priority=0:\
        :ignoretime@:\
        :umask=022:\
        :requirehome:\
        :minpasswordlen=6:\
        :idletime=30m:

This is in /etc/login.conf.  File perms are 644, and I ran cap_mkdb to
generate /etc/login.conf.db (also 644).

After creating the billing class, I did a vipw and set an existing
user's class to 'billing' as follows:

billing:[pass]:3967:115:billing:0:0:[snip]:/home/billing:/bin/csh

A 'man 5 passwd' says the fifth field is for the login class, but
doesn't say if the class should be specified as it appers in
login.conf (by name) or by some other means.  I gathered that it
should be by name from the FreeBSD FAQ, and by adduser's
behavior.  After saving my changes, the user 'billing' can still login
more than once...

Is login.conf misconfigured on my system, or is the 'sessionlimit=1'
option broken in some way?

TIA...

--
 Mike Hoskins
 Systems/Network Administrator

 "In a world where an admin is rendered useless when the ball in his
 mouse has been taken out, its good to know that I know UNIX."
                                                -- toaster.sun4c.net