Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2003 13:01:54 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   WRITE FILEMARKS. CDB: 10 0 0 0 1 0  MEDIUM ERROR asc:3b,0

Hello.

Since FreeBSD 4.6.2 I receive on one of our systems which does backups
on a HP Sure Store 6x40i Cardridge handler DAT tape using afbackup the following
error when tape end has been reached:

(sa0:sym0:0:5:0): WRITE FILEMARKS. CDB: 10 0 0 0 1 0
(sa0:sym0:0:5:0): MEDIUM ERROR asc:3b,0
(sa0:sym0:0:5:0): Sequential positioning error
(sa0:sym0:0:5:0): failed to write terminating filemark(s)
(sa0:sym0:0:5:0): tape is now frozen- use an OFFLINE, REWIND or MTEOM command to clear this state.
(sa0:sym0:0:5:0): tape is now frozen- use an OFFLINE, REWIND or MTEOM command to clear this state.

The tape unit gets cleaned every 6 tapes or earlier, the tape cardrdges are original HP tapes.
I changed several tapes because I thought the could be demaged but with no effect. It is still
the same. Other tapes out of the 54 tapes in the backup set do not show this error, other do.

Can you explain what kind of error the kernel shows and on what this could rely on?

I made a very corious observation during the switch from FreeBSD 4.2 towards 4.6.X.
We moved back to 4.2 once and all these errors disappeared, when got back to 4.6.2
they were present as well as before, means: the error came with 4.6.2! I checked the
newsgroups and found several articles describing this error and the occurence with the change
of 4.6 to 4.6.X. But no solution, no explanation. What has been changed in the drivers?

Has anyone any idea?

Thanks in advance,
Oliver

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@mail.physik.uni-mainz.de
Systemadministration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)