Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 2014 18:06:46 +0100
From:      n j <nino80@gmail.com>
To:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: The best approach to upgrade to freebsd 10 ?

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 1:40 PM, Thomas Mueller <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>wrote:

> > A few days ago I did the (freebsd-update) upgrade of my VPS. I've been
> > using FreeBSD since 4.8 and been running various releases and doing
> > upgrades since then. This last upgrade (9.2-->10.0) was probably the
> worst,
> > though I accept the blame for not reading /usr/src/UPDATING carefully.
> Here
> > are the problems I ran into:
>
> > 1) unable to boot after first stage of upgrade with "mounting ufs...
> error
> > 19". This is explained in UPDATING entry 20110424 - basically, disk
> device
> > names have been changed and the system was not able to find boot
> partition
> > ad0s1a as it was renamed to ada0s1a. This is an old entry, but there were
> > symbolic links to old device names throughout 9.x enabling the old
> > configuration to work which I guess was removed on 20130404 ("Legacy ATA
> > stack... completely removed from sources").
>
> > 2) network not working. I can't find this exactly in the UPDATING notes,
> > but there was a lot of talk on Xen-related changes so I guess it was not
> > much of a surprise. My NIC was renamed from re0 to xn0 hosing the
> > ifconfig_re0 entries in rc.conf and ipfw "via" rules.
>
> > 3) not actually a problem per se, but building a custom kernel with
> > IPFIREWALL_FORWARD option I was using before failed with "unknown
> option".
> > Again, this is in UPDATING entry 20121102 - option removed, functionality
> > enabled by default. Finally!
>
> > So take care if you share any of the above. 1) and 2) are especially
> > problematic if you are running upgrade remotely.
>
> > Regards,
> --
> > Nino
>
> You mention re0 being renamed to xn0.
>
> I couldn't find any device xn or xn0 in FreeBSD 11-current, though I found
> xe and xen.
>
> I figured if it were in 10-STABLE, it would also be in 11-HEAD.
>
> For a moment, I thought maybe the reason why I couldn't connect Ethernet
> on MSI Z77 MPOWER motherboard was needing to use a driver other than re,
> but nothing so simple.
>
> There is still device re.
>
> Did you make a typo with xn0?

No, ifconfig says xn0:

xn0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500

Also in dmesg.boot:

xn0: <Virtual Network Interface> at device/vif/0 on xenbusb_front0
xn0: Ethernet address: 00:16:3e:XX:XX:XX
xenbusb_back0: <Xen Backend Devices> on xenstore0
xn0: backend features: feature-sg feature-gso-tcp4

So it's xn0 in my case, not xe.

Regards,
--
Nino