Date:      Sat, 5 Mar 2016 12:01:26 -0300
From:      Mario Lobo <lobo@bsd.com.br>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: phpvirtualbox-4.3.2 & virtualbox-ose-4.3.36

On Sat, 5 Mar 2016 12:26:42 +0100
Bernhard Fr=C3=B6hlich <decke@bluelife.at> wrote:

> Am 05.03.2016 1:01 vorm. schrieb "Michael" <ma.zoon@quicknet.nl>:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >

> > I write this as I like to request a major upgrade for virtualbox
> > related ports on freebsd.
> >

> > Currently I face problems using the current ports with php70 port
> compiled.
> >
> > I don't want to go back to port php56.
> >

> > Those problems can easy be fixed when phpvirtualbox-4.3.2 gets an
> > upgrade
> > phpvirtualbox-5.0-5
> >
> > as it now support php7 out of the box.
> >
> > Please have a look:
> > https://github.com/imoore76/phpvirtualbox/blob/develop/CHANGELOG.txt
> > Changelog.
> >
> > But before upgrading, the new Virtualbox version must be upgraded
> > also see https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
> >

> > Please can those ports be upgraded by someone for support of systems
> running
> > PHP 7?
> >

> > Category www
> >
> > --------------------
> >

> > phpvirtualbox-4.3.2 needs an upgrade for support of php 7 and
> > phpvirtualbox-5.0-5
> >

> > Category emulators
> >
> > --------------------------
> >

> > virtualbox-ose-4.3.36 needs an upgrade for support of php 7 and
> > phpvirtualbox-5.0-5
> >

> > virtualbox-ose-additions-4.3.36  needs an upgrade for support of
> > php 7 and phpvirtualbox-5.0-5
> >

> > virtualbox-ose-kmod-4.3.36  needs an upgrade for support of php 7
> > and phpvirtualbox-5.0-5
> >

> > Thank you for all the work!
> >

> > With best regards,
> >
> > Michael
>=20
> Hi Michael,
>=20
> we know that we need to update vbox to 5.x but the sad truth is that
> we do not have a reasonable stable version of it. The port builds but
> the kernel module doesn't work properly so instead of breaking vbox
> for all people we will just stay at the last stable version that we
> have. phpvirtualbox is not backwards compatible so you have two
>=20
> 1) help on vbox 5.x port
> 2) create a phpvirtualbox patch for php7

Pardon for barging in the thread but I've been running VBox 5.0.8 with
4 VMs at my work since January without any problems (so far, at least)

[~]>pkg info | grep virtual
vde2-2.3.2_2                   User-mode virtual ethernet infrastructure
virtualbox-ose-5.0.8           General-purpose full virtualizer=20

[~]>ps ax
  PID TT  STAT         TIME COMMAND
  944  -  S        22:49.70 /usr/local/lib/virtualbox/VBoxXPCOMIPCD
  952  -  S        66:11.24 /usr/local/lib/virtualbox/VBoxSVC
  934 v0- I      3065:24.90 /usr/local/lib/virtualbox/VBoxHeadless
-startvm DBServer --vrde off 935 v0- I
13068:32.29 /usr/local/lib/virtualbox/VBoxHeadless -startvm WEBServer
--vrde off 936 v0- I
8552:00.08 /usr/local/lib/virtualbox/VBoxHeadless -startvm EXTServer
--vrde off
15004  0- S       451:17.91 /usr/local/lib/virtualbox/VBoxHeadless
-startvm xDBServer --vrde off

On my desktop, I'm on V 5.0.14, also without any problems.

It's a fact that the VMs at work are for development but they are
heavily used by the team.

All FreeBSDs mentioned above are 10.2 STABLE.

Of course, in all these cases, I adapted the port to compile and test.

When you say "the kernel module doesn't work properly", what exactly do
you mean?

--=20
Mario Lobo
http://www.mallavoodoo.com.br
FreeBSD since 2.2.8 [not Pro-Audio.... YET!!]
=20
"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things,=20
because that would also stop you from doing clever things."