Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 2003 18:23:03 +0200
From:      Volker Kindermann <freebsd@secspace.de>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   lots of "Permission denied" at gnome startup as user

Hi,

I'm using 5.1 release and gnome2 started by gdm.

After updating ports today (with portupgrade) I encountered a severe
problem: I can't start gnome any longer successful as normal user.

I always get a bunch of errors like the following:

GConf error: Could not stat
'/usr/X11R6/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/desktop/gnome/file_views/-0.12
4768conf.xml': Permission denied.

The directories vary but it's always the "Permission denied" error.

When starting gnome as root, there is no such problem.
When starting without gdm as normal user, the problem are the same.

Please let me know if you need further information.

Thanks

 -volker