Date:      19 Mar 2014 11:16:38 +0000
From:      "Mark Delany" <c2h@romeo.emu.st>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Minor nits with netmap(4) manpage

(Luigi's page suggests posting here.)

Very recent freebsd10 (r263256)

1) the manpage says "SEE TRANSPARENT MODE" but no such section
   exists.

2) the manpage refers to NR_RING_NIC_SW when I think it means
   NR_REG_NIC_SW.

3) No mention is made of access control. I think earlier documentation
   suggested that you had to run as root, but now it appears to work
   for any user that has rw access to /dev/netmap. Obvious I guess but
   just mentioning that access is controlled by the file system, not
   your uid.

4) epoll/kqueue has conflicting information. An early para says
   "... and standard OS mechanisms such as select(2), poll(2),
   epoll(2), kqueue(2)."

   But a later para says "epoll(2) and kqueue(2) are not supported on
   netmap file descriptors.".

On the matter of transparent mode, it seems that all an application
has to do to have a packet proceed up into the host stack is set
NS_FORWARD in the ring flags. That's a super-nice feature as is netmap
in general.

Mark.