Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 2004 12:18:20 +0200
From:      "Walter C. Pelissero" <walter@pelissero.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   dhclient fails to get lease

On my laptop I'm experiencing a problem with dhclient.  When I
bootstrap the laptop (FreeBSD 5.2.1) after the server (FreeBSD 4.10),
dhclient fails to get a lease within a useful time, while, if I
bootstrap the server after the laptop, it gets immediately the lease.

When the client is stuck in the first scenario I kill dhclient and
restart and this would fix the problem:

  killall dhclient
  dhclient ep0

The ep0 interface is a PCMCIA, 3Com Etherlink III 3C589.

The only suspicious thing is a couple of messages on
/var/log/messages of the laptop:

Aug 18 12:01:39 hyde dhclient: send_packet: No route to host
Aug 18 12:01:44 hyde dhclient: send_packet: No route to host

The /etc/dhclient.conf on the laptop is:

  timeout 60;
  retry 30;
  select-timeout 5;
  initial-interval 2;
  omapi port 7911;

The relevant rc.conf settings on the laptop look like:

  pccard_enable=YES
  removable_interfaces="ep0"
  ifconfig_ep0=DHCP

The rc.conf settings for dhcpd on the server are (mostly defaults):

  dhcpd_enable=YES
  dhcpd_flags="-q -early_chroot"
  dhcpd_conf="/usr/local/etc/dhcpd.conf"
  dhcpd_ifaces=""