Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 2000 23:48:09 -0700
From:      "Morgan Davis" <mdavis@cts.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Basic kernel sources and modules

To questions related to building kernels:

1.  What are the most basic source distributions necessary for building
kernels?

These, at least, appear to be required:

	base
	include
	sys

I think I'm missing something else (at least with the present status of
4.1-stable) as I cannot get a kernel build to complete without errors, even
after a cvsup that yields nothing new.  The same attempt on a system with a
complete set of sources works just fine.  If the above are all I need, what
else might be wrong?

2.  Are compiled modules exclusive to the kernel they go with?

For example, if you build two kernels on a machine, say one with and one
without FIREWALL support, each kernel gets its own modules directory.  In my
checks with cksum, it appears that most of the modules are identical except
for vinum.ko.  Is that signficant, or just a result of a datestamp or some
other innocuous difference?

Thanks.

--Morgan