Date:      Sun, 6 Mar 2005 12:56:32 +0100
From:      Emanuel Strobl <emanuel.strobl@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, David Magda <dmagda@ee.ryerson.ca>
Subject:    Re: Need really cheap IDE mirroring PCI controlled for FreebBSD 4.10

--nextPart1765589.1fWMoj7pnB

Am Samstag, 5. M=E4rz 2005 02:06 schrieb David Magda:
> On Mar 3, 2005, at 19:20, Emanuel Strobl wrote:
> > If you consider upgrading to 5.4 you can use any onboard chipset or
> > cheap
> > controller card with some geomclasses, namely g_mirror. It's fantastic
> > and
> > the only stateful mirror solution I know. And you can mirror only
> > parts of
> > your disk, or mirror across 3 drives aso. The power of geom :)
>
> This can be done with 4.x. From atacontrol(8):
>
>       create   Create a type ATA RAID.  The type can be RAID0 (stripe),
> RAID1

This is not stateful! Nor does it allow to mirror parts of the disk=20
(labels/GPT partitions). Also I can't imagen how to mirror across more then=
=20
two disks.
You can't compare those and there are several cases where ata-builtin RAID=
=20
support fails on different controllers.
Also you don't have the "atacontrol addspare" command on 4.x which makes it=
s=20
RAID1 function useless on anything but the promise controllers! And he was=
=20
looking for cheap controllers which disqualifies the promise.

>                (mirror), RAID0+1 or SPAN (JBOD).  In case the RAID has a
> RAID0
[...]
> Vinum(8) is also available on 4.x.

But vinum isn't statful too. And vinum doesn't provide g_gate for example.

=2DHarry