Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 2000 22:19:50 +0200
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Your Master <your_master@techie.com>
Subject:   Re: Sound Help

This card definitely works for me. But I also faced some problems.

> im desperately trying to get sound to work under freebsd 4.0
> i have a Crative SB AWE64 Gold sound card... ive been trying and i
> recompile the kernel about 10 times now.. has anyone gotten the card
> to work? i would really appreciate some help
So did I one week ago.

> what lines do i have to add to the kernel??
You need only:

device          pcm
device          sbc0
For your Joystick
device		joy0	at isa? port IO_GAME

The problem is to make sure your system knows all irqs used by other
devices. I had a ethernet card on irq 5 and my usb-device on irq 9. So I
had to compile in all devices including ed0 and usb (with uhci,...). In
answers you can often read lines like:
device          sbc0    at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15
as proposed in LINT.
But all of them only repeat the standard settings, the sbc-driver would
use as PnP-defaults in any way. If there is something on this irq, your
card won't work.
The mentioned settings are valid during initialisation of your card, so
if you compile your kernel with:

device          sbc0    at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15

and interrupt boot to do:
boot -c

you can see at the now opening console with
ls
that your card really is on irq 10 with DMA 1 and 5.
After quitting the console with q, the boot process will continue.
But as the sbc0-driver is started later on, it will use the settings of
PnP. If your system knows nothing about your usb using irq 9, but knows
the device using irq 5, it will then set your card back to irq 9 DMA 0
and 5 (because it is the next standard proposal the AWE gives the PnP
system) as you can see later printed on your screen. (do you know dmesg,
to later view the boot messages again?)
If you compiled in support for the device using irq 9 (usb in my case)
the sbc0 driver will correctly choose the next proposal given by the AWE
pnp-information. That is irq 10 DMA 0 and 5. Now your card will work (at
least mine does).

BTW, if you see something like
isa0: too many dependant configs (8)
during kernel boot, that is also your AWE which gives too much proposals
for different possible PnP-configurations.

So, now my card works. Still open questions are:

- How do I force my card to use certain irq and DMA?
I.e. to tell the sbc0 driver not to readjust the initial correct
settings.(In all other systems Linux, Win, BeOS I use irq 10,DMA 1(!)and
5, so I see possible conflicts, when doing only a warm reboot between OS
changes, which won't reinitialise the sound card.)

- How to use the Wavetable abilities of the AWE?
The old awe-driver will only work with the VOXWARE drivers, which is
deprecated now. Besides there is no pnp-driver left in 4.0 kernel, so
all old descriptions how to do it for 3.x BSD won't work anymore.

Ciao
Siegbert