Date:      Thu, 3 Feb 2000 13:41:13 +0000
From:      daniel lawrence <danny@AlphaZed.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ypbind and ipfw

I am trying to configure NIS on a host configured with anti-spoofing ipfw
rules. This host is the domain master server and I want it to bind to itself.

It looks like it is sending a broadcast on the ethernet interface looking for
a portmapper. But this broadcast is being blocked by ipfw. When I open up ipfw
the system binds to itself right away.

The rule which is causing trouble is:

     01300 deny log ip from 10.0.0.236 to any in recv pn0

The intention, of course, is to block spoofs, but it is also blocking its own
broadcasts.

Is there a better way to code the ipfw rules?
Is there a better way to get ypbind to bind to localhost?

--
daniel lawrence               AlphaZed, Ltd
mailto:danny@AlphaZed.com     http://www.AlphaZed.com