Date:      Sun, 26 May 2002 23:30:09 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        pgreen <polytarp@m-net.arbornet.org>, Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Language in danger: Language loss

Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> >> No, it isn't.
> >
> > Provide a counter example.
>
> Done.
>
> Of course, I can't communicate it to you, because to do that I would
> have to put it in language.

Har.  Your failure to cbe able to communicate it to me in language
indicates that the language you would use to try to do so is inherently
constrained from representing certain concepts, such as the one you
can't communicate in it.  8-).

> Imagine you're driving down a crowded freeway and a car in front of
> you suddenly stops.  You have to avoid it.  How do you do it?  "Well,
> if I veer to the left, I may hit the gravel on the side of the road,
> if I veer to the right, I may hit the central reservation, but there's
> not enough space between the lanes for me to get through, so maybe the
> gravel's the least risk"?  Of course not.  Putting thoughts into
> language is too slow for your own thoughts.

Personally, I would avoid it by stopping, since I maintain at least
1.5 times my reaction time in distance between myself and the car in
front of me.  I rather imagine that stupid people smack into the car.
There's a reason that, in the U.S., the driver who rear-ends another
automatically gets the ticket.  8-).

In the case of a semi-instantaneous stop (e.g. the car ahead smacks
into a stopped car in front if it, without throwing on its brakes to
signal the stop), you change lanes, because your stopping time is 5
times your lane changing time.

Having been in this situation before, I can guarantee you that the
reason reaction times are pegged at about 2 seconds is because your
brain actually processes the information: it's not reflex action, as
you are apparently trying to imply (for the curious: I changed lanes,
and was not personally involved in the accident; ask Wes Peters about
"Riverdale Road"; it's an accident prone stretch of highway between
Weber State University and the [now defunct] only 70mm movie theater
in Northern Utah, the Cinedome 70).

-- Terry