Date:      Tue, 05 Jul 2005 22:41:35 -0500
From:      "W. D." <WD@US-Webmasters.com>
To:        Timothy McLouth <mclouthtp@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Nothing works

At 21:56 7/5/2005, Timothy McLouth wrote:
>First i tried to make my own installation cd(s) from the instructions=
 given,=20
>they did not work so I e-mailed for answers got two different answers=20
>neither of which worked so i bought the installation cd(s) ver 5.4...I=20
>downloaded the manual which is of little or no use due to variations in=20
>installation methods described in the manual and what is actually shown on=
=20
>screen...the ports collection came with it...when i use the make install=20
>command it tries to access the internet..then i get a message saying, it=20
>couldnt fetch,... try manually... error 1...what is the problem i would=20
>really like to use this operating system...I also bought a book for $47=20
>which is useless, the title is misleading..."The design and implementation=
=20
>of FreeBSD" is of no use unless you want to know what the processor is=
 doing=20
>from start to end....what a waste of money......I am familiar with unix and=
=20
>still have my unix book from college, in addition i have a bachelors of=20
>science in computer information
> systems...Im begining to believe that this is all BS unless i get some=20
>straight answers...

Hey Tim,

Don't give up yet!  Sysinstall is a bit confusing.  I had many
of the same problems you are having.  Consequently, I researched
quite a bit and then wrote my own "HowTos":

http://www.US-Webmasters.com/FreeBSD/Install/

Please let me know if this helps you.

Start Here to Find It Fast!=99 ->=
 http://www.US-Webmasters.com/best-start-page/